Slim in 6

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Everyone Goes Through It

I wanted to share the experience that I had this week in hopes that everyone will understand that being in shape, getting fit, and pushing myself is not easy for me. I get comments all the time such as, "but it's not easy for me," "it's too hard," "I just don't have time," "I could never do THAT," or responses like, "but you are in such great shape," "but my body is not like yours," or the inexplicable, "oh, but I can't commit the way you can."

I have a rebuttle to all of them (and in order), "It's not easy for me either," "If it were easy, everyone would be in shape," "How much time did you spend watching tv yesterday, or how about if you took 10-30 minutes a day now, you could add 10 years to your life?", "Have you ever really tried?", "I'm only in great shape because I decided to make it a priority," "Your body doesn't have to be like mine, heck, my body wasn't like this when I started either," and, "Why wouldn't you want to commit to a longer, healthier, and more fulfilling life? Why don't you think you are worth the effort?"

My friends, your life will never be negatively affected by your decision to make health and fitness a priority. When you make the time and commit to it, you will be better at time management, you will feel more energized and be more productive every day, and you will ultimately be much happier with who you are and others around you. I promise you, give me 90 days to of commitment and you will never want to go back to your former self.

This is not easy for me, there are days when I struggle, but I simply do my best and get after it the next day. For instance, this week I began my P90X/Insanity Hybrid Workout program. I have done P90X 3 times already, and each time I got a little better that the last. In fact, it wasn't until my second round that I was fully able to complete Ab Ripper X in its entirety (those Pfiefer Scissors and Mason Twists are murder). In any case, I hadn't done P90X in about a year. I had completed Insanity twice, Chalene Extreme, Asylum and RevAbs, so I was a bit out of practice with the moves in P90X. I did pretty well, although my numbers of Pull-Ups and Push-Ups in the Chest & Back exercise on Day 1 were lower than I remember from before. I bought it as best I could...then was so sore for the next 4 days that it hurt to do some of the cardio moves during the rest of the week. Just the motion in the jumping jacks during warm up were almost unbearable, but I pushed through. I wasn't going to let myself quit when it got a little tough or painful. You have to make the decision if you can keep going, or if you absolutely need to take a break. But you can't just turn and run as soon as things seem a little difficult. How long did it take you to get where you are? I guarantee you weren't in shape yesterday and woke up out of shape, over-weight, and suffering from any number of ailments. So don't expect your body to snap back into shape right away. It could take, months, or even years. But when you finally reach that goal, you will be so glad you did. Let me help you. Let me be your coach.


2 comments: