Slim in 6

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Vegan Thanksgiving "Stuffing"

Thanksgiving dinner has been a little disappointing in the past watching everyone enjoy all the dishes I used to love. Twice baked mashed potatoes,  the green bean casserole, yams and most of all my father in laws AWESOME stuffing. Well this year I decided instead of eating salad and a roll I was going to enjoy dinner just as much as everyone else. So I got in the kitchen and made my favorites Vegan style. This "stuffing" was my favorite, even my family liked it and I am making it with dinner tonight. I hope you like it, and you don't have to save it for Thanksgiving!
5c. cubed whole wheat bread (what ever kind you like)
1 T. E.V.O.O. (extra virgin olive oil)
1/2 T. minced garlic
1/2 c. minced onion
3/4 c. chopped celery
1/4 c. minced fresh parsley (better with fresh but use dried if you have to just cut it by like 1/2)
1/2 t.  sage (dry)
1/2 t. thyme (dry)
6 finely chopped dates (medjool is the kind I use)
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 c. chopped pecans
1 c. vegetable stock/broth (or more)

In a 400 degree oven toast bread cubes till lightly golden brown (3-4 minute) transfer to a large bowl. In the meantime, saute onions, celery and garlic in E.V.O.O till soft and onion is translucent (5-6 minutes). Add these to the bread along with herbs, salt, pepper, dates and pecans. Slowly adding a little at a time drizzle in the stock and carefully toss untill the bread just starts to stick together. Drizzle a little E.V.O.O. over the top, cover and bake at 350 degrees in a sprayed baking dish for 25 minutes then uncovered for another 5-10 just until the top is golden.  Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment